Trip in a Nutshell
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Length of stay: 1.5 day
LIKE: The lively atmosphere with pubs & bars everywhere!!! Eye Opener at Red Light District!
DISLIKE: Too many choices!!!
Artsy & Lively eh? :)
1) Getting lost @ Canals; canals and more canals!!
2) Red Light District at nightfall! (more about this later :P)
This picture sums Amsterdam up? Bike & Canal :)
MUST TRY FOOD:
1) Gouda Cheese! ie the iconic wheel-shaped cheese! :)
2) Erwtensoep! ie pea soup with onion, carrots, sausage & bacon. Tummy warmer :)
3) Kroketten aka Croquettes! @ Van Dobben ie fried dough balls with various fillings! Usually consumed with Milk (or Melk in Dutch!)
4) Poffertjes, a Dutch batter treat! Like Pancake! :)
5) Oliebollen aka Oil Balls, Or simply Dutch Doughnuts :))) nom nom nom. usually with powdered sugar
Itinerary: 26 Dec 2011 (Mon)
Brussels --> Amsterdam Central train station Morning 914am:
Arrived at Amsterdam Central, Check In Accommodation - Durty Nellys Inn
. Morning 10am:
Explore Around Amsterdam on foot! No particularly systematic route!!!!
- Dam Square!
Start off from the center of the city - Dam Square, where National Monument stands
Browsing through the numerous barssss & pubssss in town. And this pub claims itself to be the smallest pub in town :D
Dutch thongs ROFL :)
TRY TO TRY: Waterlooplein Flea Market. Miss that!!! :(
- Remembrandt Square, one of the night party area!
Xmas Market @ Remembrandt Square. With the making of Poffertjes :)
Sausages overload :O
- Flower Market
Dutch windows??? :OOO
Tulips... Fake tulips >.< apparently it is winter.
- Anna Frank Huis
One of top attractions in Amsterdam, the home of the famous writer Anne Frank. Go early in the morning to avoid queue, according to our hostel manager :)
- Jordaan Area, across the canal
West of the city, with adorable houses squashed in a grid of tiny lanes
- Snacking on frites!!! Fries! It tasted awesome!!!
- Red Light District aka De Wallen
Spread across 6500 square meters with 300 cabins! And as its name implies, just look for the Red Lights at night!
No photography is allowed :( But to give you a feel, here is what I found from Google. Judge yourself?
LOOK OUT FOR:
1) Waterlooplein Flea Market! Missed this :(
2) Skinny Bridge!!!
Itinerary: 27 Dec 2011 (Tue)
Morning: Walk to Albert Cuyp Market, Amsterdam's largest & busiest market!!! Why not have a bowl of warm pea soup?
- Walk to Vondelpark & Concertgelow
Concertgelow :) Concert Hall? :)
A Stroll along Vondelpark? :)
Morning: If you fancy museums & arts, probably these are worth trying!
VAn Goh Museum :)
The famous I Amsterdam near the museums area :)
Brunch @ Pankcakes!
Gosh Dutch Pancakes are huge!!!!
Costs $$$ (I spent):
FOOD: 28.13 euros
TRANSPORTATION: All attractions is within walking distance if you are not too tired :) OR you could bike!!
ACCOMMODATION: 20 euros
Total: 48.13 euros
Maps for the Organized Minds
To Be Continued: BEEEEEEEEER @ Munich&Berlin, Germany (15 MAR)